TCL All the best Prime Day deals are at Amazon, right? Nope: For a limited time, Best Buy has the TCL 75S425 75-inch Roku TV for $799.99. Regular price: $999.99.Walmart has it for the same price — which will give you option of returning it locally should it have a problem or not meet your expectations. Update: This appears to be out of stock at Amazon, but Walmart still has inventory, at least for the moment. See it at AmazonAlthough the 4 Series has been around awhile, this 75-inch model appears to be an early-2019 addition. That’s why you won’t find it mentioned in David Katzmaier’s review of the TCL S425 series. Katz liked the overall value proposition of the 4 Series, though found the image quality a bit lacking — especially compared with the aforementioned 6 Series. The Amazon user reviews are more encouraging, with an average 4.3-star rating from over 900 buyers. Take note, however, that those apply to all the sizes in the lineup, not just the 75-inch. So it’s hard to say for sure what users thought of the 75S425. My take: If you’ve been thinking about a really big TV, this is one of the best deals I’ve seen. And in case you’re wondering, the 6 Series in this size is currently $1,400. It may be a while before it gets anywhere near this price. Your thoughts? Read more: The best TVs for 2019 The Cheapskate TCL’s cheap Roku TVs are the go-to choice for tight budgets Originally published on July 2. Update, July 15: Removed bonus deal, changed TV availability CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of the products featured on this page. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. Find more great buys on the CNET Deals page and follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter! TCL Now playing: Watch this: Tags Share your voice Comments 15 1:59 Best laptops for college students: We’ve got an affordable laptop for every student. Best live TV streaming services: Ditch your cable company but keep the live channels and DVR. TVs
Heroin traffickers linked to the abduction and disappearance of 43 students a year ago are battling over millions of dollars paid by Canadian mining giant Goldcorp to a village in Mexicos southern gold belt, leading to a wave of murders.As a signatory to a Conflict-Free Gold Standard drawn up by the World Gold Council industry group, Goldcorp commits to extracting the precious metal in a manner that does not fuel unlawful armed conflict or contribute to serious human rights abuses. But residents of Carrizalillo in the impoverished state of Guerrero say the some $3m (Â£2m) a year in rent paid by Goldcorp for their land, which the mine is built on, is fuelling a bloody feud between two rival cartels. Village authorities say the company is not doing all it can to protect them.Juan Jesus Canaan, an activist who explores clandestine graves in search of missing people, said the presence of Los Filos mine and the wealth generated by it brings crime and drug addiction. Gold brings bonanza but it also brings other things with it. It brings crime, drug addiction, a lot of things. The villages economy, from this place and others, revolves around the mine, Canaan said.Some homes in Carrizalillo are scarred with bullet holes and broken windows after a series of assaults in the past year, some involving dozens of masked men firing automatic weapons. Authorities describe a struggle between two gangs â€“ Guerreros Unidos and Los Rojos â€“ over the mineral wealth that has split Carrizalillo into two factions, fanning chaos. The Guerreros Unidos gang is the primary suspect in the disappearance and apparent murder of 43 students last year, a case which has drawn international attention and fierce criticism of President Enrique Pena Nietos government.Carrizalillo villagers describe systematic extortion by both cartels. Each side accuses the other of supporting a rival cartel with the alleged backing of different state and federal security forces. At least 26 people have been killed since the feud escalated in mid-2014. Still, villagers welcome the wealth generated by the mine and have negotiated to maximize their benefits. Protests closed the mine for a month last year until Goldcorp agreed to more generous terms.Landholders say that under the May 2014 deal, Goldcorp pays the equivalent of 4oz of gold per hectare in rent to 175 landholders and a communal land fund â€“ an estimated $3m a year at todays prices, which is a small fortune for a village of around 1,000. Goldcorp recognises that its Los Filos is operating in a conflict-affected or high-risk area, but federal police commissioner Enrique Galindo said that Goldcorp has not raised any alarms with police over potential risk at the mine.This mine in particular, I have spoken to the director and the chief of security of the mine. They did not report any risk situations. Those who present them is the community, due to the things we have explained.But the business, the mine, as an income generating area, has not presented, at least not to us as we have not been required, as being in a situation of risk, Galindo said.Some Carrizalillo villagers say they want Goldcorp to fund police and military checkpoints and patrols along the short stretch of road between the heavily guarded mine and the unprotected village, but Goldcorp says it is doing as much as it can.Goldcorps gold mining activities have been certified as conflict-free. Under the standard, companies operating in conflict zones must use their influence to avoid abuses by security forces and make them protect local populations. Close
Nusli Wadia, an independent director of some Tata Group companies, on Monday sent across a defamation notice to the Tata Sons board asking it to withdraw “false” and “defamatory” allegations made against him or face lawsuit. The industrialist felt the company’s aim to remove him as an independent director has ruined his reputation and image.Wadia feels the allegations made against him are baseless and false and that the Tata Sons has a “personal vendetta” against him, News 18 reported. In his notice, the 72-year old said that the move to throw him out of the company has tarnished his image with the public at large.In its response, Tata Sons told the Times of India that “the company will respond to the notice appropriately.” The company has called for an extra ordinary general meeting on December 13 and will consider removing Wadia as an independent director from the board.According to reports, the Tata Group plans to remove Wadia as an independent director from the board of Indian Hotels, Tata Chemicals, Tata Motors and Tata Steel, fearing that he was trying to take control of some of these companies and intended to cause harm to the $103 billion group.The shares of Indian Hotels were trading at Rs 89.40 at around 9.52 am on Tuesday, down 1.70 percent. Tata Chemicals shares were trading at Rs 451 apiece, up 0.47 percent around the same time. Tata Motors shares were also trading at Rs 461.95, up 1.11 percent and Tata Steel’s stock was trading at Rs 375.50, up 1.06 percent from its previous close on the Bombay Stock Exchange.
Road Accident LogoAn elderly couple was killed following head-on collision between a goods-laden truck and an engine-run van at Toildhara Bhatabari intersection in Safipur upazila of Tangail on Wednesday, reports UNB.The deceased is Motiur Rahman, 85, a retired school teacher and his wife Achia Khatun, 75, residents of Indarjani area.Safipur police station officer-in-charge Amir Hossain said that when Motiur along his wife was going Safipur upazila headquarters to collect his pension, the truck hit the vehicle, leaving five people, including the couple injured.The injured were taken to SafipurUpazila Health Complex where physicians declared the duo dead.Police seized the truck.
A fire broke out at two godowns of a jute mill in Chengunia area of Abhaynagar upazila on Thursday afternoon, reports UNB.The fire began from an electric short circuit around 2:30pm at a warehouse of Roman Jute Mill in the area, said Wadud Hossain, assistant director of Jashore fire services and civil defence.The fire soon spread to a nearby yarn godown, he said.Around 3-4 maunds of raw jute and 40 tonnes of yarn were gutted in the fire, claimed Mohammad Ali Kasari, the owner of the mill.On information, two firefighting units from Abhaynagar and Jashore rushed to the spot and brought the flame under control after 45 minutes’ effort, said Wadud.The loss incurred due to the fire could not be known immediately.
Share CHRIS BLAKELEY/FLICKR (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)Few modern creations match the convenience of online holiday shopping – that is, unless you’ve had a package stolen from your front porch. Across the country, mail and delivery burglaries are on the rise, but one central Texas Police chief knows just the place to send packages this holiday season.Last week, the Round Rock Police Department launched Operation Front Porch, a program aimed at reducing the number of front door burglaries during the holiday season. Residents can ship packages directly to the city’s police department address and pick them up during normal business hours once they arrive.RRPD Chief Allen Banks said the idea for the program arose out of a need to keep police officers involved in higher priority calls. Despite the extra work needed to process the packages, Banks said another main goal of the program is to increase community safety.“I don’t care if we get one package or we get 1,000 packages,” Banks says. “That’s one package less that will be stolen off a front porch. That’s what it’s all about, to make sure we keep our community safe, keep them happy, and keep quality of life as high as possible.”Banks says that last year, thirteen packages were stolen from front porches in the Round Rock area. Although he says it’s too early in the season to determine the popularity of Operation Front Porch, Banks says he already considers the program a success.“The minute we received that first package shows me we were successful,” Banks says. “Why? Because our community trusts us enough to bring in their holiday packages and send them over to our department. That’s a success in itself.”Details on the Operation Front Door program can be found here.Written by Rachel Zein.
India Tourism Development Corporation (ITDC) took another step to celebrate its glorious past by unveiling – The Ashok – Capital Icon, a coffee table book at The Ashok in the Capital. Compiled as a chronicle, the book was released by Shripad Naik, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture who took special pride in unveiling the book. Parvez Dewan, Secretary, Ministry of Tourism and Sameer Sharma, Managing Director, ITDC were present at the ocassion. People from the Ministry of Tourism, other government departments and stakeholders from Travel and Hospitality sector also marked their presence. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Speaking on the occasion, Sameer Sharma said, ‘This is a proud moment for us to revisit all those cherished moments of our glorious history and share them with all of you as priceless treasures.’The book is written by veteran travel writers Hugh and Colleen Gantzer. The book captures the history of the The Ashok from the time of its conceptualisation in the 1955 to the present day. The hard bound compilation captures and at the same time refreshes the timeless moments from the independence era through 500 photographs illustrated in more than 275 pages. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixThe compilation starts from the distant age of the massive supercontinent Gondwanaland, on the far shore of the prehistoric Tethys weaving through the Mughals and the British eras. The book also talks about the post independence period and the origin of The Ashok. ‘The authors have spent a very long period to encompass the vast history of this rich heritage and its each milestone in one chronicle -The Ashok,’ says ITDC.
Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailPolice have closed a busy road in East Staffordshire tonight due to an ‘incident’. Horninglow Road in Burton is shut in both directions from Shakespeare Road to Derby Road. Motorists are being asked to seek alternative routes. Police first confirmed they were dealing with the ‘incident’ shortly after 11pm tonight (Tuesday January 22). A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: “We are currently dealing with an incident on Horninglow Road, Burton-on-Trent, the road is closed from the junction of Shakespeare Road and Derby Road. Please avoid the area where possible.” We have no further information on the incident itself at this stage. Read More Want to tell us about something going on where you live? Let us know – Tweet us @SOTLive or message us on our Facebook page. And if you have pictures to share, tag us on Instagram at StokeonTrentLive.
Dubai-based My-HD Media has signed a deal with satellite operator Arabsat that it says will expand the reach of its pay TV channels to more than 170 million viewers in the Middle East and Africa.The long-term partnership agreement will allow My-HD’s pay TV offering to reach 80 countries in the region and will be used by the firm to expand its offering, which currently includes more than 25 HD channels via satellite including all eight MBC HD channels in MENA.“We aim to build a diversified bouquet of 40 HD family entertainment channels and we are confident that our association with Arabsat will be a long term profitable collaboration that will add significant value to both parties but most importantly to the end consumer,” said Cliff Nelson, CEO of My-HD Media.Khalid Balkheyour, president and CEO of Arabsat, added that the objective of the deal was to provide a “commercially viable, mass market ready, end-to-end distribution platform to the broadcasters on Arabsat. My-HD Media will allow broadcasters to capture additional HD business across MENA.”
Dexter GoeiAltice is to pause in its acquisition drive to focus on cutting costs and working on the integration of its existing properties, according to CEO Dexter Goei.Goei told Bloomberg Business that the company owed it to its investors, whether creditors or shareholders, to pause, particularly in relation on large acquisitions, following its purchase of US cable operators Suddenlink and number Cablevision.Goei said the company could hold off on major acquisitions for up to two years to focus on organic growth and the consolidation of existing assets. However, he said, the company could make an exception of US number four operator Cox is put up for sale.Altice has built up a large amount of debt through its acquisition, in rapid succession, of France’s SFR, Portugal Telecom, Suddenlink and now Cablevision. Goei told Bloomberg that the acceleration of free cash flow from the group’s properties could see it reducing its leverage ratio significantly next year.Altice chairman Patrick Drahi recently said that the group could buy more cable operators in the US and would like to acquire mobile assets.