Tag: 杭州西湖妃子阁

Student senate proposes new constitution, adds club coordination council secretary

first_imgStudent senate passed motions proposing a new constitution and creating a secretary position in club coordination council Wednesday.The order proposing the new Constitution of the Undergraduate Student Body will not affect the way senate operates.Sophomore William Huffman, senator for Stanford Hall, asked junior parliamentarian Colin Brankin about how the new constitution will affect the running of senate.“Like actual, practical [changes]?” Brankin said. “Nothing. Not really anything.”The changes in the new constitution have been passed over the course of the year, including a provision to make quorum a consistent 2/3 among all of student government and changes to formatting throughout the constitution.“The problem with the old constitution is that a lot is kind of jumbled up,” Brankin said. “Now … there’s consistency so you can easily read the constitution. And a lot of the archaic language is cleared up to make more sense.”The new constitution passed with one opposition and one abstention.The proxy for O’Neill Hall, freshman Jake Marcionette, was the only vote against its passage. Marcionette was filling in for junior O’Neill senator Sebastian Lopez.Eduardo Luna, sophomore senator from Knott Hall, abstained from the vote.After the order passed, Luna asked for clarification about the function of the “power of the purse” as stated in the constitution.Brankin, senior Judicial Council president Matt Ross and senior student body vice president Sibonay Shewit explained how the budget is allocated.“There’s a section of the Committee on the Budget whose responsibility it is to approve the allocation [of the budget],” Ross said.“Each branch has a representative,” Brankin said. “All the leaders of the organizations are there to approve these budgets. That’s how it’s been, always.”Luna asked if senate has a budget.“Yeah,” Shewit said. “That’s how we pay for Jimmy John’s and apparel.”Luna then yielded his time, saying he was “just keeping you guys in check.”Senior and Club Coordination Council president King Fok presented a proposition to create the position of club coordination council secretary.“Right now there’s no secretary and the controller’s been taking the minutes, but that’s been really difficult,” Fok said. “He’s supposed to be managing all of the clubs’ finances.”The order passed with one opposition and no abstentions.Marcionette was again the only opposition. He said Lopez, O’Neill Hall’s usual senator, did not instruct him to oppose every order.Sophomore Breen-Phillips Hall senator Eve Takazawa announced that there will be a presentation to the student senate by an administrator March 21 regarding the housing policy.“They’re working on a waiver system and they’ve had discussions with the student advisory board so far,” Takazawa said.The senators spent the rest of the meeting in committee time. Student senate meets every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Notre Dame Room of LaFortune Student Center.Tags: Club Coordination Council, Constitution of the Undergraduate Student Body, student senatelast_img read more

Read more…

LeoVegas reports strong Q3 despite facing ‘greater regulatory complexity’

first_img Kambi takes full control of LeoVegas sportsbook portfolio August 26, 2020 StumbleUpon Submit Share Mobile gaming group LeoVegas has reported a strong performance during Q3, with revenues increasing by 12%, despite the group continuing to face a ‘difficult-to-navigate’ regulatory environment.Publishing its quarterly report for the period 1 July – 30 September 2019, the group noted an increase in revenues from €78.6m in 2018 to €88.2m, while EBIDTA jumped from €8.96m to €12.75m. LeoVegas noted a strong performance across key markets including Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Italy, while its UK-facing Royal Panda brand had performed “poorly” in the market as a result ‘challenging’ regulatory headwinds.The group also revealed that business has been affected by its decision to not apply for a gaming licence in the recently re-regulated Swiss market, which ceased operations on 1 July. CEO Gustaf Hagman commented on the results: “We continued to show progress during the third quarter in a difficult-to-navigate environment and generated double-digit growth in both sales and operating profit.“Greater regulatory complexity in several of our main markets has given rise to certain short-term challenges but is also raising the barriers to succeed in the sector which benefit established companies.“Growth was favourable during the period in most of our markets, including Sweden where we are gaining market shares, but also in key markets such as Finland, Denmark and Italy. The UK is profitable at Group level but remains challenging, where Royal Panda in particular had poorer performance during the quarter,” said Hagman.“We chose to not apply for a licence in Switzerland, where we stopped accepting business on July 1, based on commercial rationale.”Net Gross Revenue from locally regulated markets was recorded as 50%, up from 35%t in Q3 2018, the operator said. However, LeoVegas noted that its number of new depositing customers fell, however, down four per cent to 135,019 while returning depositing customers jumped 12 per cent to nearly 200,000.Considering its home market of Sweden, LeoVegas addressed its return to the market after gaining a five year licence for the market. The group plans to ‘look positively’ on the Swedish Authority’s recent crackdown on unlicensed operators, with hopes of continuing to grow both its customer base.Hagman continued: “Our returning customers in Sweden are at all-time high, which is proof that our focus on the product and customer experience coupled with a commitment to responsible gaming is paying off in a regulated environment.“We estimate that channelisation of online casino in Sweden is far below the Swedish Gambling Authority’s goal of 90%. We therefore look positively upon the fact that the Gambling Authority to a greater extent has begun prioritising measures to curb unlicensed actors.”Looking further afield. LeoVegas has also boosted its presence internationally having launched operations in Japan and Spain. Hagman added: “Thus far during the year LeoVegas has launched operations in five new markets, where Japan is the most recent addition. We want to especially highlight the launch in Spain, which so far has exceeded our expectations. The online growth in Spain is considerable, and we are highly confident that Spain can become one of our key markets.” Björn Nilsson: How Triggy is delivering digestible data through pre-set triggers August 28, 2020 Share Related Articles LeoVegas hits back at Swedish regulations despite Q2 successes August 13, 2020last_img read more

Read more…

Quebec shipyard talks vindication as it unveils new supply ship for navy

first_imgOTTAWA – The Quebec shipyard at the centre of the RCMP investigation into Vice-Admiral Mark Norman is talking vindication — both for it and Norman — as it inches closer to delivering a new supply ship to the navy.Chantier-Davie was set to host a lavish ceremony in Levis, Que., on Thursday to unveil the MV Asterix, the former civilian ship it is converting into a temporary supply vessel for the Royal Canadian Navy.The unveiling ceremony is an important milestone for the $700-million project, with work almost finished and only sea trials left to be done before the ship is turned over to the navy around Christmas.Alex Vicefield, CEO of Inocea, the multi-national conglomerate that owns Davie, said the ceremony is also a big win for the shipyard, which has struggled for years to win work from the federal government.“This is a fantastic celebration for us,” he said in an interview. “It goes to show we’re not just big talkers, and we actually can deliver on our promises.”Norman was head of the navy when the former Conservative government gave Davie the interim supply-ship project without a competition in summer 2015.The move came after the navy was forced to retire its only two resupply ships early, leaving a gap until new permanent replacements could be built around 2021.Norman had been a proponent for the project and the fact the ship is nearing completion represents a degree of vindication for him, Vicefield said.“It basically shows that what he said was right,” Vicefield said.“He’s a guy who said: ‘I’m not getting ships. I need ships. People’s lives are at risk. We need something. And this makes the most sense of all.’”However, this past January, Norman, who had been promoted in August 2016 to vice chief of defence staff, the military’s second-highest position, was suddenly relieved of duty without explanation.Court documents later showed the RCMP was investigating him on suspicion of having leaked cabinet secrets to Davie in November 2015.The Mounties alleged Norman was upset that the new Trudeau government was reconsidering the interim supply ship contract, and that he worked with Davie to pressure the Liberals into staying the course.Norman remains suspended but has not been charged with any crime. The allegations in the documents have not been tested in court, and Norman’s lawyer has denied her client did anything wrong.The Liberal government ultimately decided to proceed with the project.Vicefield and Spencer Fraser, the CEO of Federal Fleet Services, which is actually overseeing the interim supply ship project, suggested Norman had been unfairly targeted for investigation.Among the documents obtained during the RCMP investigation and filed with the court were email exchanges between Fraser and Norman, which Vicefield described as perfectly normal.“He had an official role in this project, which was project leader,” Vicefield said in the interview. “So just this assumption that there was some sort untoward activity by him communicating with us is totally ridiculous.”Fraser noted that Ontario Superior Court Justice Kevin Phillips said in April when he agreed to unseal the documents that the emails did not represent evidence of wrongdoing.The RCMP has refused to comment on the investigation.Vicefield and Spencer said they have not heard anything in months, but hoped for a speedy resolution.“It’s a lot of noise, and really no substance,” Vicefield said. “I hope that it’s cleared up one way or the other, just for the sake of the admiral, quite rapidly.”The navy won’t actually own the Asterix when it is complete, but will instead lease it for five years, with a second five-year option, though Fraser said the company is prepared to sell the ship to the navy on request.The vessel will also include a mixed crew of civilians and military personnel, which is unusual for a naval ship.— Follow @leeberthiaume on Twitter.last_img read more

Read more…