Ktaka crisisSC asks Assembly speaker to maintain status quo

first_imgNew Delhi: The Supreme Court asked the Karnataka Assembly speaker on Friday to maintain status quo on the resignation and disqualification of 10 rebel Congress and JD(S) MLAs. A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi posted the matter pertaining to the Karnataka political crisis for further hearing on July 16. The bench, also comprising justices Deepak Gupta and Aniruddha Bose, specifically mentioned in the order that Karnataka Assembly Speaker K R Ramesh Kumar would neither decide the issue of resignation nor that of the disqualification of the rebel MLAs to enable the court to decide the larger issues raised during the hearing of the matter. Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF Day The bench noted in its order that the issue of maintainability of the rebel MLAs’ petition under Article 32 of the Constitution was raised by the speaker and Karnataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy. Further, the bench noted that senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the rebel MLAs, had countered the speaker’s submission that the disqualification plea of the ruling coalition in the southern state had to be decided before taking up the issue of resignation of the lawmakers. Also Read – SC declines Oil Min request to stay sharing of documents on Reliance penalty The bench said taking all these aspects and the incomplete facts before it into consideration, there was a need for further hearing. “In view of the weighty issue that have arisen, we are of the view that the matter be considered by us on Tuesday. We are of the view that the status quo as of today with regard to the prevailing situation be maintained. Neither the issue of resignation nor that of disqualification be decided till Tuesday,” the bench said.last_img read more

UN conference agrees on measures to combat global gun trafficking

After all-night negotiations that lasted into the morning of 21 July, the UN Conference on the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects last Saturday afternoon adopted a Programme of Action to prevent, combat and eradicate the illicit trade by undertaking a number of measures at the national, regional and global levels.Among the measures agreed to, countries said they would ensure that licensed manufacturers apply an appropriate and reliable marking on each small arm and light weapon as an integral part of the production process. They would also ensure that comprehensive and accurate records were kept for as long as possible on the manufacture, holding and transfer of small arms and light weapons under their jurisdiction.In addition, the participating delegations decided to guarantee that all confiscated, seized or collected small arms and light weapons were destroyed, unless another form of disposal or use had been officially authorized, and provided that such weapons had been duly marked and registered.Countries also agreed to strengthen their ability to cooperate in identifying and tracing illicit small arms and light weapons. A follow-up Conference would be held no later than 2006 to review progress made in the implementation of the Programme of Action.Secretary-General Kofi Annan issued a statement through his spokesman in New York warmly welcoming the accord, calling it the first of many important steps to alleviate the “grave threat” to international peace and human security. The Secretary-General praised these steps as “essential in building norms and in implementing collective measures against this global scourge.”In his concluding remarks, the Conference’s President, Ambassador Camilo Reyes of Colombia, expressed disappointment that delegates could not reach agreement on two of the most important issues – maintaining and controlling private ownership of small arms and the transfer of such weapons to non-State actors – even though there was overwhelming support for their inclusion in the outcome document. read more