The Finnish technology group Wärtsilä, and GTT, the French designer of LNG containment systems, have finalized a cooperation agreement to explore potential joint business opportunities.Under the agreement, the two companies will explore opportunities in the marine sector in relation to LNG storage, fuel gas supply systems, and associated services that will benefit both shipyards and vessel owners, Wärtsilä said on Tuesday.“By collaborating in the delivery of jointly agreed projects, the two companies will be able to propose solutions that optimise onboard LNG fuel gas storage and operations,” the statement reads.Within this cooperation agreement, specific attention will be given to medium to large-size segments and configurations where space optimization is key.Wärtsilä and GTT will also provide ship owners and operators with marine solutions, allowing the exchange of onboard system data, thereby enabling remote support optimisation and assistance for the LNG fuel gas supply system.Membrane type LNG fuel tanks guarantee volume optimization, thus allowing for more fuel space on board the vessel or improved autonomy between bunker operations, Wärtsilä adds.Speaking of the agreement, Timo Koponen, vice president, flow & gas solutions, Wärtsilä marine solutions said it “is part of Wärtsilä’s strategy of ‘forming the future of gas’, aimed at making a solid contribution to increased sustainability and greater operational efficiency for gas-fuelled vessels.”
Brian Calhoun was understandably displeased with his performance at the NFL combine in Indianapolis last month.So, he went out and did something about it, on his home turf.After posting a surprisingly dismal 4.65 time in the 40-yard-dash on Feb. 25 in front of the entire NFL scouting world, the Badgers’ front running NFL prospect quieted many doubters Wednesday by improving to a 4.38 time during the University of Wisconsin’s Pro Day at the McClain Athletic Facility.”I think it was pretty important for me,” Calhoun said of his improved time. “Obviously, there were a lot of guys that jumped up the boards a little bit, like [UCLA’s] Maurice Drew and [LSU’s] Joseph Addai, so today was basically for me to catch up a little bit, maybe I could pull even with them after what I did at the combine.”Drew, who ran a 4.39 40-yarder, and Addai, with a 4.4 result, were two guys that have been heralded as potentially leapfrogging Calhoun in the draft, in light of their successes at the NFL combine. However, by showing that he can run the dash in a similar time, Calhoun may have returned his draft stock to where it was before — late first round to early second round.”I think I did what I expected all along, that’s why I’m not overanxious about it,” Calhoun said. “I ran in the mid-4.3, high 4.3 [range] during the season, and that’s what I wanted to do, that’s what I thought I could do. I’m just fortunate that I had another chance to run it here.”The 5-foot-9 junior out of Oak Creek, Wis., downplayed any thoughts that he has been affected by the disappointing result since it occurred.”My friends let me know about it, but I didn’t read too much about it,” Calhoun joked. “I’ve never doubted whether I could run or play, so it’s not an issue for me.”As for the rest of Pro Day, Calhoun competed among fellow teammates Matt Bernstein, Brandon Williams, Jonathan Orr and others in different strength and fitness tests led by scouts and UW football coaches. The three-hour affair featured such drills as the 40-yard-dash, the high and long jumps, the 225-lb. bench press, obstacle courses, and various football skill events like catching, blocking and punt returning.A crowd of about 250 was on hand to take in the action, including scouts from over 10 NFL franchises such as the Green Bay Packers, the Chicago Bears and the Detroit Lions.”Our guys trained for a long time to get to this day,” said new UW head coach Bret Bielema. “I see a lot of people here from the NFL; it’s just an opportunity for the [Badger players] to showcase their skills. I think a lot of guys improved their stock.”One of those guys was Bernstein, the UW fullback who missed much of the 2005 college season with a sports hernia. The husky senior, who spent some time in January rehabilitating in California, said he felt good about his overall performance at Pro Day after healing from his injury.”I dropped a point on my 40, I jumped four inches today, which was pretty good, and I had 25 bench reps instead of 22, so that helps a lot,” Bernstein said.Pro Day marked the final day for these Badgers of being officially tied to the school, and many of them may never again set foot on a football field with one another.”[This day] was important, not only for me but for the other guys working out here,” Calhoun said. “It was good just for everybody to get out there and do what they had to do and compete, and hopefully earn them a spot on an NFL roster next year.”The NFL Draft will take place on April 29-30 in New York City.
The Nelson Selects ran out of gas on the final day of the BC Soccer U15 Girl’s Provincial B Cup, dropping a 2-0 decision to WCAGFC Storm of Maple Ridge in Consolation round action Sunday at the Lakeside Soccer Pitch.The loss was the third consecutive defeat for a U15 squad that opened the tournament on a roll.The Selects looked to be poised to take a run at the medal round after opening the tournament Thursday with a 1-0 win over North Shore Vipers.Mattea Lorenzo scored the only goal of the game to power the Selects to the win.The win left Nelson on top of the pool standings after Vernon and Kelowna played to a 1-1 draw. However, Nelson lost 4-1 to Vernon Friday to make it a three-team race for the medal round. Sofia Arcuri, from the penalty spot, scored the only goal for Nelson in a game that was tied at the half 1-1.Facing a must win against Kelowna Saturday to advance to the final, the Select dropped a heartbreaking 1-0 decision to the Okanagan squad.Kelowna scored on a breakaway in the second half to secure the win.Nelson U13 Selects finish on a positive noteAfter three consecutive losses, the Nelson Selects got a chance to finish the BC Soccer U13 Girl’s Provincial B Cup on a positive note.The Selects dumped Kootenay South 3-0 in Consolation round action Sunday at the Lakeside Soccer Pitch.The win allowed the Selects to finish the tournament in seventh spot.Nelson finished the round robin winless in three starts, dropping games to Cliff Avenue United 4-1, Prospect Lake 6-1 and Kelowna United FC 4-1.
Before June 10th the Zone 1 Rowing coaches will be selecting youth born in 2000 or later (age 14-15-16 years) for the Zone 1 BC Summer Games rowing crew.The opportunity is open to males and females and the boats being selected are the single and double scull.Anyone familiar with the Concept II rowing machine at the gym already have an idea what is required.The Zone one team will compete in the 1500 meter time trial and a 1000 meter heat in the Games regatta.Athletes interested should contact your local rowing club: Nelson Rowing [email protected] Athletes between the ages of 14-16 years wanting to get a taste of the BC Summer Games should check out the Nelson Rowing Club for a chance to compete for spots on the Zone 1 Rowing Team.
Humphries was in Nelson this past week to assist in the Whitecaps Prospect Camps at Lakeside Fields.The camp auditioned many of the elite players in Nelson Youth Soccer for Whitecaps staff as well as enabling camp participants to train under top flight coaching.“The progress made in Nelson has been brilliant,” Humphries said.“There are some really exciting young talented players coming out of the Kootenays.”“Progressing players into the (BC Senior Premier League) BCSPL (through Thompson/Okanagan Soccer Club) is a massive achievement and shows that the talent pathway is producing players that can compete at the highest level in BC.”The work of Adams, as regional head coach of the Whitecaps Kootenay Academy Centre and liaison coach with Nelson Youth Soccer, has definitely stepped up the training players have been receiving at the local level.And this training is paying off not only with teams finding success at the provincial level, but also with individual players growth.“There are some very talented players for sure . . . if not at this point, then in the future I am sure we will see some players come through,” Humphries said when asked about future Regional EXCEL Centre program candidates coming from Nelson.“Brett and his team do a great job of progressing the girls and pushing them to compete with the best, which is important for me to see.”“The likes of Sophie Borhi and Michaela Anderson making TOFC is an important step in trying to make our REX group, so I will be tracking their progress and others that come through the Kootenays over the next couple of years.”Oh no. Looks like the secret is getting out. It’s obvious from the number of tourists arriving on Nelson’s main drag the secret is getting out regarding one of the most beautiful places to visit in the world.The same can be said for youth soccer in the Heritage City as Nelson welcomed the head of the girl’s high performance for the Vancouver Whitecaps of Major League Soccer, Emma Humphries.“I think it’s extremely important to the development of the players to see the girls head elite coach,” said Brett Adams, regional head coach of the Whitecaps Kootenay Academy Centre.“The girls side is booming at this time,” Adams added.“With (L.V. Rogers) high school winning provincial gold and the (Nelson Youth Soccer) U16 girls rep capturing gold, the U18 girls silver and the U14 girls bronze, it just shows the work that is happening on the girls side.”And Humphries, as part of her role as Girls Elite REX head coach and Girls Programs director, has noticed the improvement during travels to Nelson over the past two years.“I have been to Nelson three times in the past two years and have seen tremendous progress every time,” Humphries explains.“The girls program in Nelson seems to have really taken off.”
Chelsea have been told by Wigan that they can have Victor Moses for £10m, according to the Daily MirrorIt is claimed the Latics want a straightforward fee for the forward and are not interested in an exchange deal involving Josh McEachran.The Mirror also report that Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo is closing in on the £7m signing of Marseille’s Spain Under-21 right-back Cesar Azpilicueta.The Daily Mail say Jose Bosingwa, recently released by the Blues, has been made an offer by Anzhi Makhachkala.Meanwhile, QPR could avoid paying a fee for Junior Hoilett, with Blackburn ready to offer Jamie Mackie up to £2m a year – making him the highest-paid player in the Championship – to go to Ewood Park in exchange, the Mirror claim.Hoilett looks set to reject Newcastle and Borussia Monchengladbach in favour of a lucrative deal at Rangers, said to be worth £50,000-a-week.The Canadian is out of contract but, at 22, cannot move on a free transfer, so Rovers will be entitled to compensation unless they accept an offer.And it is suggested that although Mackie is not overly keen to leave Loftus Road, the cash on offer at Blackburn may persuade him to go there.The Mail say Rangers are trying to secure a work permit for Hoilett before completing his signing, while The Sun claim the club are interested in Getafe right-back Miguel Torres.This page is regularly updated.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
27 February 2013 The government is planning to introduce a biometric log-in system to combat unacceptably high teacher absenteeism at South Africa’s schools, Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga said on Tuesday. Speaking at a post-State of the Nation Address media briefing in Cape Town on Tuesday, Motshekga said a recent survey had shown that South Africa had the highest teacher absenteeism rate of all Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries – with about 10 percent of SA teachers absent for an average of 19 days annually.‘Serious neglect of responsibilities’ A biometric electronic system would allow the department to collect real-time data on what schools were affected by high teacher absenteeism, and to address what she said was the main reason behind the country’s high absenteeism rate, namely poor administration, lack of management and a “serious neglect of duties and responsibilities”. “As a teacher, I find it extremely embarrassing for professionals to be told that they should be in class the whole time teaching and that’s the basic thing they are employed for.” Motshekga said the department would inform teachers’ unions, but hastened to add that the biometric system wasn’t a test, but a biometric log-in system. “It’s not anything that really affects [teachers’] conditions of service, because it is there already that they have to report – like all of us have to report for duty, [going] in and out and explain our whereabouts.” Motshekga said that what President Jacob Zuma had meant by making education an essential service, was that education was critical to the future of the country and that no one, from the department to teachers and parents, should do anything to disrupt pupils from learning. Teachers would still be permitted to go strike, she stressed.Eradicating ‘mud schools’ She expected that by 2015, all remaining “mud schools” in the country would be eradicated. By September, her department would be able to present a full report on the progress to eradicate mud schools. In the Eastern Cape, a team is currently conducting a headcount of pupils and teachers in the province, after Motshekga had instructed the provincial department to rationalise the number of schools in the province. She added that often the department built a school on the basis that there were 500 pupils, only to find out later that the school only had 50 pupils. The department therefore could end up building fewer new schools than planned in its Accelerated School Infrastructure Delivery Initiative (Asidi) to eradicate mud schools. Deputy Minister of Basic Education Enver Surty said his department had already made significant progress in the Eastern Cape, since the province’s department of education was placed under administration two years ago. Surty said when his department intervened, a number of issues had plagued the provincial department, including a lack of nutrition, transport for pupils, delivery of textbooks, administration issues and poor financial systems. He said progress had been made after decentralising procurement for school-feeding programmes, which had allowed local communities to run them. While Surty said the department had helped to boost district education authorities, the biggest challenge that remained was that of poor administration, which has been a problem in the province for years. Teachers’ unions were also against relocating teachers to regions where there were shortages or dismissing teachers who didn’t perform. He said the Eastern Cape had shown an improvement in learning outcomes, while the matric pass rate had passed the 60% mark for the first time. Source: SAnews.gov.za
The freedom that we celebrate today is a precious gift bequeathed to us by leaders such as Ahmed Kathrada, says Brand South Africa’s CEO Kingsley Makhubela.Ahmed Kathrada’s quest for a great South Africa did not end after the advent of democracy. He continued serving the country as a political adviser to President Nelson Mandela after 1994. (Image: Shamin Chibba)Johannesburg, Wednesday 29 March 2017 – “The nation will always remember struggle stalwart Ahmed Kathrada as a hero and freedom fighter, but mostly for his magnanimous and selfless sacrifices for a free, just and democratic South Africa,” said Brand South Africa CEO, Dr Kingsley Makhubela.Fondly known as ‘uncle Kathy’ to South Africans, the former political prisoner and anti-apartheid activist Ahmed Kathrada who is being laid to rest today – passed away at age 87 in the early hours of Tuesday morning at the Donald Gordon Hospital in Johannesburg.Kathrada spent 26 years in jail,18 of which on Robben Island – after being convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment, with hard labour, alongside Mandela, Denis Goldberg, Andrew Mlangeni, Walter Sisulu, Govan Mbeki, Raymond Mhlaba and Elias Motsoaledi during the Rivonia Treason trial.He was released from prison on 15 October 1989, at the age of 60. In 1994, Kathrada was elected as a member of parliament for the ANC, and served as Parliamentary Counsellor to President Nelson Mandela until 1999.“The freedom that we celebrate today is a precious gift bestowed to us by leaders like ‘uncle Kathy’. South Africa has lost one of its greatest leaders – an honourable man who represented peace and justice for all. In honour of his memory and to celebrate his legacy, all South Africans should strive to make our country better by protecting the freedom that so many who came before us fought for and died for.“We wish to express our most sincere condolences to the family and loved ones of struggle hero. We share in your mourning, and hope you find comfort in the tributes pouring in from the nation and the world,” concluded Dr Makhubela.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
If Wall is sidelined for two months, he would sit out more than 25 games and return for the last half-dozen or so of the regular season.He already missed Washington’s past two games, both victories, including 102-96 against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Tuesday night.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutIn all this season, Washington is 7-6 without their All-Star guard, and 28-22 overall, which puts them fifth in the Eastern Conference.Wall is second on the Wizards in scoring, averaging 19.4 points, and is second in the league with 9.3 assists per game. 10.5-second goal sets Spurs on way to win over Man United AFP official booed out of forum Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH View comments NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers MOST READ 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City LATEST STORIES Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC FILE – In this Jan. 10, 2018, file photo, Washington Wizards guard John Wall (2) pauses on the court during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Utah Jazz in Washington. Wall will have arthroscopic surgery on his left knee on Wednesday and could miss much of the rest of the regular season, the Wizards announced Tuesday, Jan. 30, 2018. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)WASHINGTON — Washington Wizards point guard John Wall is expected to miss about six to eight weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.The team announced the predicted timeline after Wall’s operation on Wednesday.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Read Next